[AMPS] SWR Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SWR Protection
From: da_kang@hotmail.com (Jeff Wolf)
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 16:24:58
>>  Tom, I think you've been fooled all this time about the most common
>>failure mode of solid state transistor amplifiers. Again, the main >>cause
>>of failure is excess power dissipation in the transistor due to load
>>mismatch, not voltage breakdown. If voltage breakdown were the issue,
>>you'd see voltage peak detection circuits in amp finals.

>If I was fooled, so was Helge Granburg at Motorola before he died.

>Helge, being fooled like me, thought the same thing.

>The reason you don't see peak voltage detection circuits is
>because by the time the voltage gets there, it is too late. You will
>never remove drive in less than a few RF cycles.

>That's why you need to measure SWR, and do it while the
>envelope is rising....

How do you plan on doing that on a wideband transformer output amplifier?

Since the Impedance of the collector is equal to Collector voltage squared /
twice the power output and the transformation ratio is equal to the sqaure
of the turns on the transformer, the swr would be changing as the power
output ramped up.

>unless you use transistors that have a voltage
>rating of several times the working voltage or use a hard clamp that
>is very fast.

Motorola rates their Bipolars at 30 to 1 swr over all phase angles, if
operated within spec.

--Toll Free