[AMPS] SB220 power output

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB220 power output
From: n7dz@arrl.net (Bill Bennett N7DZ)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:42:37 -0700
Let's see if I can ask a question that is a bit more specific this time.
I am about to visit the owner of this SB220 that I am considering the
purchase of, and I'd like to conduct a test that will give me a sense of
whether the finals and power supply are in reasonable shape or not. A
simple test that I would think would be telling would be of the form:

(1) operating on ffff frequency
(2) amplifier terminated into a 50 ohm dummy load
(3) with X watts CW drive power
(4) amplifier properly tuned
(5) the output with the switch in CW position should be about Y
(6) and in the SSB position should be about Z

Presumably drive power level would be chosen to maximize amplifier
output, at least for this test measurement.

I understand that this would not necessarily mean I can operate at that
power level, due to the various (mainly heat) issues that were raised in
response to my first question. But it seems like a "maximum smoke"
measurement would be indicative of the amplifier's overall condition.

Anybody care to give me numbers from their own SB220 on one or more
frequencies? Or maybe tell me why this is a badly formulated test?

Thanks - and please forgive my amplifier naiveté.

Bill N7DZ