[AMPS] On-off, or leave it on?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] On-off, or leave it on?
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 11:49:42 -0500
My amp uses an Eimac 3CX3000A7, whose cathode is directly heated.  (It's a
thoriated-tungsten filament, IIRC.)  An often-touted virtue of such a tube
is that it requires just a couple of seconds of warmup time; in other
words, it's "instant-on."

My usual mode of operation is "search-and-pounce" DXing.  In this mode I
may spend 30 minutes scanning the band for a "new one," and then use the
amp for a QSO lasting just a minute or two.

What's best for the tube?  Should I leave the amp on all the time?  Or shut
it off when I finish a QSO, and switch it back on when I'm about to make a
call?

Merry Christmas es 73 de Chuck W1HIS