[AMPS] HV PSU Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV PSU Question
From: apollo_six@btinternet.com (paul)
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 23:38:01 +0000
The only proviso I'd add to Phils' comments are that the current
requirements of the transformer are altered going from a bi phase to a
full wave rectifier, additionally when using surplus transformers often
you never know if it was built for a choke or capacitor filter.

Having just re-built my own 3.5KVA power supply which was originally
built around a surplus transformer that burnt out (it was intended for a
choke input filter) I had to perform major surgery to the enclosure and
electronics to get it all to fit. I don't recommend this repeat process
to anyone, furthermore a rewinder who I knew quite well would not rewind
the transformer since he reckoned it was too dangerous using old
laminations and formers at these sort of voltages.

New techniques and process's produce a smaller transformer which is more
reliable with better insulation, less subject to moisture and low
insulation breakdown whether it's a toroid or EI laminations.

Paul

In message <3A510FCB.B1C8FAE@ntlworld.com>, David Kirkby
<drkirkby@ntlworld.com> writes

--

To try and not succeed is better than not to try at all (Anon)