[AMPS] Himu triode 4-400A distorsion products??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Himu triode 4-400A distorsion products??
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:48:26 -0000
Rich says

>common bandswitches can not handle 4kV safely.

I guess it depends on how you define 'common'. My 4-250
amp has a custom made switch, suggesting the manufacturer
had problems, too. (It's the PA deck from a military tx) I've
seen suitable switches around - even got some - but they
sure aren't teeny little receiver type bandswitches. That's
one of the problems with high voltages - and powers, for
that matter - size matters!

Still, I figure that if you're so close to the switch rating
that going from  3.6 kV to 4 kV causes problems, you're
running too close. It does suggest that trying to
substitute a 4-400 for a 3-500 might not be so easy at
the end of the day.

Maybe one of the advantages of home brewing amps?
(OK, I'm not starting that hare again!)

73

Peter G3RZP