[AMPS] re: Pwr Switch AL-811

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] re: Pwr Switch AL-811
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 15:00:21 -0500
Hi Jim,

> Which brings us right back to the conclusion that these switches
> are inferior.  At these current levels, contact faces get some wear
> and tear and contact resistance varies.

Some are, some aren't. If you poll users of 811's, you'll find only
one or two batches out of several thousand sold have this problem.

Same with my outlet strip. I've used  them for years, and only one
switch brand so far has been a problem.

There is never any harm done, the switch simply fails. UL/CSA
requires the switch be tested for safety, not life, and that's why the
life may be short on some but the safety is fine.

If you find a product using a non-UL/CSA switch, they you have a
case.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com