[AMPS] Re: Two XFMRs Parallel...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Two XFMRs Parallel...
From: royanjoy@ncn.net (Roy Koeppe)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 08:14:50 -0600
About.

"I have two unit transformer with different manufacturer, one of them
are
1880 volt and 0.6A RMS secunder, and another are 1870 volt and 0.4A RMS
secunder. Actual voltage when connected to AC line are 1950 volt and
1890
volt, measuring by HV Voltmeter.

I want to connect both of them in parallel in order to have 1A RMS
Output.
What will be happen when I Connected this two transformer in parallel
with
little bit different in output voltage ???."

Well, I don't automatically agree with the other two gents about this.
First, the XFMR with the higher current rating fortunately also has the
higher voltage rating. When you parallel the secondaries, they will
adjust surprisingly well, compensating for a balance. Of course, you
must phase them. As you load them, I think they will behave quite well
at 1 Amp. There will be a slight current flow between the secondaries,
but I predict it will be negligible and acceptable.

If not, then a trick to balance them is to install a small "bucking"
transformer in series with the primary of the higher voltage one, or an
"adding" transformer in series with the primary of the lower voltage
one. Often a filament transformer will suffice.

Good luck,

Roy         K6XK/0