[AMPS] Re: Two XFMRs Parallel...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Two XFMRs Parallel...
From: drkirkby@ntlworld.com (David Kirkby)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:18:31 +0000
Tom Rauch wrote:

> > I should have added that if the DC is paralleled after the rectifies,
> > this phase difference could work to your advantage. If the two are out
> > of phase, the caps will tend to get charged more often, reducing
> > ripple. However, I still think this is a bad idea - not one I would
> > do.
>
> It makes no difference if the rectifiers are full wave.
>
> The caps charge from both rectifiers 120 times per second in the
> USA, and 100 in countries who have slower dynamo's.
> 73, Tom W8JI
> w8ji@contesting.com

Sorry, but I don't agree with that statement either Tom. Why do you
think 3-phase rectification has lower ripple than single phase ? If one
bridge is starting to provide less voltage to the caps, as another one
is providing more, the average voltage will be higher, and so the ripple
less. If you draw it out, I'm sure you would agree.

*If* you could get the two transformers out of phase by 90 deg, and
rectified that with two full wave bridges (on one each transformer), you
would get the caps replenished at 2f (120 Hz in the USA) from one
bridge, and 120 Hz from another, *but at different time*. Hence the caps
get replenished at 4f (240 Hz).

--
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D,
email: drkirkby@ntlwold.com (formally davek@medphys.ucl.ac.uk)