[AMPS] receivers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] receivers
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:21:22 -0500
> Hans said:
>
> >I do not know whats inside the filter but if you are lucky
> >it is a ladder filter with no ferrite transformers that degrade
> >the filters big signal performance.

Peter replied:

> I did a lot of work on IMD in crystal filters back in the mid 1970's. The
> ferrite transformer business I found interesting, since I was never able
> to find a filter where the ferrite transformer was the problem - and this
> was working with a number of filter manufacturers. I read about it in Ham
> Radio magazine, but that was all.

It's amazing what a single incorrect article can start.

Because of stuff in ham books, people think:

1.) Folded unipoles improve antenna ground system system
efficiency.

2.) Ferrites cause noticeable signal distortion if used anywhere in
the system

3.) Parasitics cause tube and bandswitch failures.

> Sherwood are still in business - they have a web site.

.......and still are selling quality filters

> Tom, what signal generator, wanted signal input level, wanted signal SNR
> and rx bandwidth do you use to measure blocking 1 kHz away?

Homebrew crystal oscillators with attenuator pads, 10 dB s/n, 250
Hz.

I haven't found a commercial generator yet (not in my budget
anyway) that is useful for close spaced tests (unless it is the weak
signal source).

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com