[AMPS] linear amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] linear amps
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:05:20 -0500
I assume they are the same value and are really carbon comps.

> I used carbon composition that Merit @ RF Parts recommended me to use.

> > Did you check the neutralization?
>
> I checked the gap spacing according to the specifications in the
> original assembly manual.

That might have worked back when tubes came from one or two
vendors, but I'm not so sure it is reliable now.

You can check the neutralization setting and null it by closing the
antenna relay with POWER OFF and driving the PA with a signal
generator like an antenna analyzer and listening to the other port
with a receiver. Simply put the PA and other gear on 10 or 15
meters and peak the tuning control for max signal, while nulling the
adjustment of the neutralizing cap.

You should be able to null the neutralization to a point where the
signal gets fairly weak.

> > With hundreds or thousands of Warriors working fine, including one I
> > own, it seems foolish to make drastic changes rather than just
> > correcting the problem.
> >

> I understand that, but with all the talk about it not being necessary
> I assumed to remove it in order to rid the problem.

People talk. The fact is, the amp needs it.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com