[AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch
From: billp@wwpc.com (Bill Putney)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 14:07:53 -0800 (PST)
Eric,

My Henry 2KD-2 doesn't have a standby switch either. Also the relay driver in
my exciter is a transistor which would marginally drive the keying relay in the
PA.

I solved the problem by getting a little box that sits on the desk next to the
exciter. A small relay in the box takes the keying line from the exciter
through a miniture toggle switch that acts as a operate/standby switch for the
PA. The contacts then drive the keying line to the PA. I don't have to worry
that the exciter driver transistor will be damaged and the box has become a
place to put all the little things that I needed in the station (a matching
transformer for a desk mike and a jack for a key that remotes the jack from the
back of the exciter that's hard to get to).

In 50 years when I die and the XYL sells my stuff the collectors won't have a
fit about any extra holes in the then "Classic" ham gear.  ...how quaint, there
are things in there that glow when you turn it on...

- Bill

On Feb 1,  4:36pm, Eric Moore wrote:
> Subject: [AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch
>
> In the May 1989 QST article http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/sstrans.pdf
> and a thread a few months back, a good modification to make (lets not
> debate the fact again, as it may not really be required, but I want to do
> it at any rate) is to add a standby/operate switch to keep the filaments on
> and hot, to the unit.  I would like to do this modification and lower the
> keying requirements at the same time, per the article, but I do not want to
> drill any holes in the front panel of the unit to mount the SPST switch.
> What are some ideas for adding a switch in a easy to use, inconspicuous
> place, that does not involve any permanent changes, i.e. drilling.
>
> I am sure this has come up before, but I can't find the answer in the
> archives.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> 73,
> Eric
> K8CCA
>

> --
>
>-- End of excerpt from Eric Moore

#  Bill Putney - WB6RFW            | My repeater:443.400 Mhz-100 Hz #
#  WWPC                            | It's not open, it's not closed,#
#  5780 Balmoral Drive             | it's controlled. It's open for #
#  Oakland, CA 94619               | membership (which is free...). #
#  billp@wwpc.com - (510)531-2412  | Go figure...                   #