[AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch
From: RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net (Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:37:14 -0800
I agree with Tom on this.  Bigger is not better in the case of filament
transformer ratings.

If the tube requires 10V at 10A then a transformer rated at 10V at 10A
CCS, properly cooled, is acceptable.  At the same time one must consider
the IR loss between the transformer and the tube socket and any thermal
rise due to restricted heat dissipation.  Start up current limiting, if
desired, should be installed on the primary side only.

In my view, a 10V @ 20A or 30A transformer etc. is typically asking for
a hosts of problems.