[AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220: Operate/Standby Switch
From: RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net (Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:55:32 -0800
Paul and company:

Are we overlooking the fact that as a tube approaches it max useable
freq., that the back bombardment of the cathode from electrons knocked
loose from the anode does raise the cathode temperature.  Hence the
reason for reducing the heater voltage.......as I understand it.  In
this case, it's reasonable to reduce the heater voltage.  It also makes
for current limiting during startup.

In 24/7 service the cycle on and off times are nil.  In amateur service,
and others, the cycle on and off times can be several times a day.

F Y I: My 2M 8877 amp now has 8058 hrs on the tube. (I've put them all
on there too.)  The fil xfmr is a constant voltage, saturable core
reactor rated at 5V at 10A CCS.  No adjustment needed as the voltage
stays well within the 5% of the required value.

I realize that this may not be an acceptable method with higher power
tubes, hence much higher currents for the heater.  But for those
applications, I much more prefer to use an adjustable autoformer on the
primary side in place of a rheostat.

73
Bob K4TAX