[AMPS] K2RIW Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] K2RIW Amps
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 09:01:52 +0000
Arne Gjerning wrote:

>When I helped operate EME station at the 150 ft Stanford Univ dish in
>the late 70's, the amp on 432 MHz was a RIW (2ea 4CX250B) and it read
>900W out to a Bird wattmeter. I would not have believed it if I had not
>seen it, but that is one super amp for 432.

In class B or C with a lot of drive, you can indeed get that kind of
power from a pair of 4CX250Bs - but that's CW, not linear.

The practical limit for good linearity is about 500W in strict class AB1
(ie zero g1 current).

The Eimac data sheet for 4CX250Rs suggests more power is available...
but look how the linearity suffers!

                           http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek