[AMPS] 4-1000A Project

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4-1000A Project
From: na9d@mindspring.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 17:54:50 -0500
The grid driven circuit is pretty simple.

Matching the output at high voltages is another thing.

You will need to run your 4-1000A at around 6KV idle to get good drive out
of it.  Mine runs at that.  I get 1500 Watts out with less than 90 Watts in
on all bands.  I drive it with an FT-1000D.  This is great because then the
FT-1000D loafs.

The trick with the 4-1000A is with matching the output on bands like 10m.
The tank circuit with any reasonable Q is a bear there.  STAY AWAY from the
B&W 801 switch assembly.  Lots of guys and old assembly diagrams say it is
for the 4-1000.  It is NOT.  I use it and wish I didn't.  Roll your own tank
coil.

I have a write-up somewhere on how I did my circuitry.  I can post it again.
I also have some spreadsheets that I used for doing the matching circuitry
that I can send out.

In the mean time, you can check out my amplifier on my webpage:

www.qsl.net/ke9na

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 4/3/01 12:22 PM, gd0tep@qsl.net at gd0tep@qsl.net wrote:

>> My first question is for some advice on which secondary
>> voltage to build it around.  I suppose it will be harder
>> to find parts to allow use at the 6/7kv level.  Any advice
>> is appreciated.  I'm also looking for parts for the project
>> as well.  So fell free to send what you have for sale as
>> well as your suggestions.
>
>> Sam  N3DFV
>
> Hi Sam.
>
> Is there any chance you could let me have a copy of the circuit diagram
> please?
> I've been searching for a grid driven circuit for ages, without luck.
>
> And, once complete, I'll also be up around 6kv mark.

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA

http://www.qsl.net/ke9na