[AMPS] 4-1000A Project

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4-1000A Project
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:24:41 -0400
> My main power supply is a 3670 0 3670 NATO transformer with inductive
> input filter.

Choke input filters generally have close to unity power factor, so
that make life with a variac somewhat better.

> My no load high voltage is variable 100 - 4850 volts.

Was is the NL/FL voltage regulation?

> The VARIAC after a Sundays use with above amps only gets hand warm.

Regulation is the issue, not temperature. With a choke supply you
have a much better power factor than with a capacitor supply.

> I used 100 watts (20 meter band) from my ICOM IC761 with the 4-1000A
> at 3500 volts and my YAESU wattmeter showed 2000 watts PEP.

Buy a new wattmeter, that reads correctly. Perhaps you have
accumulated errors, but you certainly do not have the gain at 3500
volts you think you have. I would say it is off by a factor of two or
more. I doubt you even have 1000 watts out with 100 watts of drive
with 3500 volts and a 4-1000A.

There isn't a cathode driven 4-1000A in the world at 3500 volts HT
that can have 13dB gain, unless it has a bad case of positive
regeneration. A 3CX1200 or 3-1000Z would barely, if at all, make
that gain.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com