[AMPS] 3 phase transforers and single phase

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3 phase transforers and single phase
From: jeff@wa1hco.mv.com (jeff millar)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 21:02:40 -0400
I have an old metal lathe with a three phase motor.  In order to get three
phase power to drive the motor I got a 5 HP three phase motor from the junk
yard.  I connected 240 across two of the phases and it generates the third
phase just because it's spinning.  It doesn't want to start by itself, it
just sits there humming and smelling very hot.  To start it, I just turn on
the power and give the shaft a flip with my foot and it takes off.  If you
need more power, just connect multiple motors in parallel.  When I start or
reverse the lathe, the motor on the floor hums louder and jumps around a
bit...very cool..

The voltage generated by the third phase runs a bit less than the the other
two. Probably not a problem in practice.  This trick should work very well
to generate three phase power for transformers and rectifier systems.

jeff, wa1hco