[AMPS] Conjugate Matching and Efficiency

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Conjugate Matching and Efficiency
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 08:26:34 -0500
on 5/25/01 12:30 PM, Billy Ward at billydeanward@hotmail.com wrote:

> STEVE:
> For power to be reflected, doesn't the source have to be a transmission
> line? A series C can reduce the power delivered to a load just by adding
> reactance and increasing the overall impedance thus reducing the current.
>
> BILLY:
> But, the series C will be dissipating the unwanted power--not reflecting it.
> If you want proof of that use a low voltage cap and feel for the heat.

A CAPACITOR IS NOT A DISSIPATIVE DEVICE!!

Period.

Any heat generated in the device is caused by losses that are real world and
are the electrical equivalent of friction.  There is some parasitic
resistance and inductance in a capacitor.  But that is generally minimal if
the capacitor is of a high quality.

A capacitor will have a reactance equal to 1/jwC.  Reactances are NOT real
resistances.

Have we forgotten how electronic components work?

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden