[AMPS] Conjugate Matching and Efficiency

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Conjugate Matching and Efficiency
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 16:41:35 -0700

>> Most hams have not gotten a 4 or 5 year degree in Electrical Engineering.
>> Of those that have, many took few if any RF classes.  So we have a ham
>> populace that reads a supposedly authoritative text (after all, it IS
>> published by the League) and believes it as gospel truth.
>>
>> I should look in my 1999 handbook to see if this error still exists.  If it
>> does, then the next person to re-write that section should remove it!
>>
>> A lie, if told often enough, becomes believed as truth.
>
> Alas...later issues of the Handbook are riddled with errors and theories
>presented as "gospel."

 /guffaw/

>When I came into ham radio in the '50's, the ARRL Handbook was referred
>to a "the bible." Not so anymore! Caveat emptor.

 amen to that, Phil.  In the 1950s, QST had a Technical Editor with the
right stuff --  i. e., George Grammar.  In those days the League was "of
by and for amateur radio".  Now it's "of by and for amateur radio
advertisers.  The League is undoubtedly in league with manufacurers of
amateur radio equipment.  For instance, according to the person who
tested the AL-1200 amplifier in the ARRL Laboratory,  he observed
intermittent arcing that appeared to be a VHF stability problem.  In the
subsequent report in QST, there was no mention of this problem.

cheers

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end