[AMPS] care to take a guess..? Alpha problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] care to take a guess..? Alpha problem
From: nospam4me@juno.com (nospam4me@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:38:10 -0700
-
Hello there,
-
A non amps member, Bob W0YVA Emails me with
a problem he's having with his just purchased used
Alpha A77.  Care to take a stab with your opinion of
the problem..?
-
I have directed him to watch the amps archive for
your answers.  Below is a copy of his text to me...
73's-skipp
-
[snip]
: Here is what I have:
:?This is a "new" A77 (looks like never used) -
: Serial 2556.
: Seems to be okay except very low power output
: (200 watts or so) with 80 watts drive. There is
: plenty of grid current. Applying drive results in
: significant plate current (800ma or so) which
: can be dipped (the dip is very shallow) for
: "max" power. HV reads normal. Power is
: being measured with Bird wattmeter using
: 5KW Bird dummy load. Problem appears on all
: band segments.
-
: Here is what I have done:
-?
: 1. Replaced 8877 with known good tube - no
: difference.
: 2. Checked bias directly at 8877 socket -
: switches properly from high to low with
: drive applied.
: 3. The zener, D13, seems okay - checked
: with ohmmeter.
-
: Where is the power going with all that plate
: current? Weird.
-
: Suggestions for what to check? The plate
: tank components all look good - no evidence
: of heat anywhere.
-
: Any help would be appreciated.
- ?