[AMPS] SICK ALPHA 77DX

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SICK ALPHA 77DX
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:19:58 -0400
This has always been a concern of mine and in fact an older Alpha PA-70V I
restored suffered from this: At one point during the restoration process,
the +28 VDC supply failed upon start-up.  Since this inhibited the
step-start process (K2 contact closure), both 10-ohm/25-watt step-start
resistors quickly failed and left a Helluva mess afterwards.  I had cuts all
over my hands from the glass/vitreous enamel shrapnel during the clean-up
effort.

My current PA-70V was designed prior to the factory integration of the "F3"
step-start fuse.  I'm assuming that F3 is placed in series with one of the
two 10-ohm @ 25-watt resistors?  In factory units, is this fuse panel
mounted or simply installed as a "pigtail" fuse holder on the step-start
frame?  Also, what is the fuse rating?  I would think it's a slow-blow
device?  Thanks!

-Paul, W9AC