[AMPS] Review of antenna tuner from Dayton

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Review of antenna tuner from Dayton
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:48:21 -0400
> I'm amazed so many people buy tuners instead of building them, or
> using stubs.
> 73, Tom W8JI

One of the simplest, practical, and cost-effective solutions to those who
use open feeder/ladder line with multi-band antennas is the approach
re-introduced by Cecil, W6RCA.  Cecil has been an advocate of changing
transmission line length in order to achieve a reasonably close 50-ohm
transmitter match into the transmission line.  I believe the concept of
changing the length of one's transmission line to vary the antenna system's
input impedance can be traced back to the early '30s when link-coupling was
popular.  Since the matching range of the link network was oftentimes
limited, varying the length of the line was a solution to bring the system's
impedance within the range of the link.

By Goodman's "My Transmission Line Really Does Tune my Antenna" does a great
job of explaining the differences on the effect of line impedance as a
function of transmission line length.  I believe the article was first
published in a 1950s QST and has been re-printed periodically since then.  I
wish they would print it every year.

Anyway, Cecil's method of varying line length with relays is simple and
effective.  You can read more about it here...

      http://people.delphi.com/cecilmoore/mystery.htm

-Paul, W9AC