[AMPS] 14KW

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 14KW
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 05:26:54 -0700

>DX of the near future:
>
>1. Get up make breakfast.
>2.  Turn on the 14KW amp, the computer controlled transceiver, the
>computer controlled antenna, the voice recognition software.  Connect the
>computer up to the DX packetcluster.

//   Chortle.  And, thanks to the Internet's plethora of
remote-controlled shortwave receivers in various countries, Beverage
receiving antennas are no longer needed for hearing weak DX stations on
80m and 160m.  The old adage that "You have to hear 'em to work 'em" is
no longer the case.

>3.  Go to work....................
>4.  Return from work, check the computer to see how you are doing with
>your DXCC.
>5.  Brag to your buddies on the new one that you worked today.

//  This scenario would be an improvement over the good old days.  In the
1950s, when I was in High School, I (K6OKC) knew two DXers, W6BOK and
W6YK.  Both were married and had children whom they pretty much tended to
ignore in favor of working DX.  When I was 24, I got a job with Hughes
aircraft.  One of my co-workers was one of these children.  We
occasionally discussed our pasts and shared some laughs.  It was only
then that I began to realize the emotional baggage that had been
inadvertently placed on him by his father.  Playwright Henrik Ibsen was
right:  "The sins of the fathers are visited upon the children."

cheers, Ken W2DTC

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end