[AMPS] 572B and an old FL2000B

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 572B and an old FL2000B
From: oz1pif@get2net.dk (Peter Frenning, OZ1PIF)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 08:17:31 +0200
Hi Osten,
Yes it does, what it is actually about is not the bias per se, but the
cut-off voltage, which has to be higher (more negative!) for the more lively
Svetlana tube. I do not recommend you to use the this tube, I went through
two sets in fairly rapid succession, before I threw the towel in the ring.
My FL2000B is now happily clicking along with a single QB-4/1100, giving
some 600W+ on the lower bands, and about 500W on 10m, something that it
never could manage with the 572Bs, and being absolutely 100% stable and easy
to tune.

IMHO the 572B is totally unsuitable for RF amplification (at least as far as
the Svetlana version is concerned), it is far too temperamental and prone to
take off on its own, instanstantly destroying the tube(s).

If this discourages you from keeping the FL2000B, don't despair, I'm looking
for one more, which I want to convert into a 50MHz amp, using two QB-3/300!

Vy 73 de OZ1PIF, Peter

New DXpedition to Greenland for CQWW! See: http://www.qsl.net/xp1ab

email: oz1pif(no-spam-filler)@get2net.dk
http://hjem.get2net.dk/oz1pif