[AMPS] Distortion, amp design, and 813s (newbie alert!!)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Distortion, amp design, and 813s (newbie alert!!)
From: kd5izi_tech@yahoo.com (Randall DuCharme)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:17:57 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings,

The latest IMD thread has been very educational and
inspiring.  Thank you all!

My questions are probably old ones but being new to
the sport..... :-)

Anyway I'm about to embark on my first linear project.
 Having never built an RF I decided I'd like to try a
4x813 setup.  1: because the 813 almost requires a
hammer to take it out of service, and 2: there's just
something really sexy about the tube to me.  ( poor
reason, I know )  I also have several of them and
almost zero dollars invested in them. I've been
looking through some of Mr Orr's earlier books and
there are several examples of class B linears for SSB
use but I'm wondering how these would fare by todays
standards?  How 'bad' would they be?  Even in a
push-pull circuit?  With NFB ???

I intend to build a grid-driven setup with bias and
screen supplies and will hopefully be able to apply
what I learn to subsequent projects using some of the
more delicate 4-400s and 4CX1000s I have.

Soooooo many questions.
Thanks again all.