[AMPS] Antenna switching relay?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Antenna switching relay?
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:55:23 -0700
>Guys:
>
> I have a homebrew Linear Amp that I bought from a Ham back when I lived
>in Texas. I personally know little
>about amplifiers, there design etc. However I can do component
>substitution and things of a like nature. I
>amplifier has an 8877 tube with about 3300 volts on plate. It works well
>most the time, but the antenna relay
>is very slow and the contacts don't always remake when it goes back to
>recieve. It has 2 relays, a smaller

 With time, DC relay armatures tend to get magnetized.  This tends to
interfere with contact make.   To reverse this sticky problem, reverse
the wires to the coil terminals.  Another solution is PIN diode
switching.  However PIN diodes have a well deserved reputation for short
lifetime in lightning country.  If you don't exceed 40wom on CW, High
Speed Switching might be a less problematic and less costly  way to go.
See Figure 7 on my Web site.

cheers, Bill

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end