[AMPS] 3-500Z

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-500Z
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:55:42 -0700
Is the 500mA limit one imposed on safe conditions for the anode, or for the
cathode?

The question is based on SOA regarding Pdiss; I run my AL80B at all sorts of
(intermittant) high current levels but without exceeding 500W dissipation,
seems to take it very much in stride for the past 10 months of
operation...no apparent change in anything:

600mA @ 2600V = 1560Wdc input; output (measured) = 1100W; apparent
efficiency 70%, apparent Pd = 460W (realizing some drive power appears in
the output).  Under these condx the amp is just hitting a small amount of
compression (<1 dB) but with more drive the output will continue to climb;
problem is Ig, which gets hard to keep below 150mA when you drive it too
hard.

What, exactly, is the issue?  Does Eimac even still manufacture a 3-500Z?

WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger