[AMPS] coax connector ratings

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] coax connector ratings
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 06:17:18 -0700

>2 wrote:

>>>While that is true, they suffer from the same problem as BNC, in that
>>>the bayonet locking force comes from compressing a rubber gasket, which
>>>eventually softens and loosens the connector.
>>
>>//  Silicone rubber is virtually non compressive.
>>
>I used to use several C connectors which had come from testgear at a
>local research facility. After several years of sitting in a rack, the
>gaskets had compressed and you could spin the plugs quite freely in the
>sockets...  exactly like an old BNC.

//  I have seen such BNC connectors.  Amphenol® and Kings® mil-spec
Type-C connectors have a non-compressible red silicone rubber gasket.
Mil-spec BNC connectors use the same gasket material.

>The problem with all bayonet-type mechanisms is that they cannot apply
>maximum compression to the spring or gasket when locked - if they did,
>you wouldn't be able to operate the twist-lock.

//  I have never seen an intermittent C connector.

>>>A better solution might
>>>have been type SC ("Screw C") or LC but these always seem to have been
>>>scarce.
>>>
>>//  Screws can loosen.
>
>But you have control over that, unlike the ageing of a gasket.

//  Choosing a non-compressive gasket material seems preferable.
Tightening a screw-on connector does not tighten the gasket seal around
the coax - nor does it change contact pressure in either the center
conductor or the shield.

cheers, Ian

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end