[AMPS] Noises in electrolytic capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Noises in electrolytic capacitors
From: K4SO@aol.com (K4SO@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:21:39 EDT

--part1_a2.1a5a50ea.28ec6ae3_boundary

For whatever it's worth, the part in question is labeled HEI 8732, FST-20. I
have ordered an Ohmite 25W unit with the same physical characteristics. While
we all hope for 100% reliability, these parts lasted 13 years (of admittedly
intermittent use) before 1 failed. Luckily the failure was not catastrophic.
I have never trusted them to protect me from HV, I always watch the meter,
then short the HV before diving in.

The idea of redundancy is generally a good one, but it doesn't sound like
there is a viable option for that here. I even thought about pulling the
whole mess and throwing in an overrated oil filled cap and a BIG bleeder, but
I've got spares and I'm gambling that this repair, with new caps, should hold
up for a while.

Thanks again.

73, Mark

--part1_a2.1a5a50ea.28ec6ae3_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>For whatever it's worth, the
part in question is labeled HEI 8732, FST-20. I have ordered an Ohmite 25W unit
with the same physical characteristics. While we all hope for 100% reliability,
these parts lasted 13 years (of admittedly intermittent use) before 1 failed.
Luckily the failure was not catastrophic. I have never trusted them to protect
me from HV, I always watch the meter, then short the HV before diving in.
<BR>
<BR>The idea of redundancy is generally a good one, but it doesn't sound like
there is a viable option for that here. I even thought about pulling the whole
mess and throwing in an overrated oil filled cap and a BIG bleeder, but I've
got spares and I'm gambling that this repair, with new caps, should hold up for
a while.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks again.
<BR>