[AMPS] Noises in electrolytic capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Noises in electrolytic capacitors
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:51:37 -0700

>> A suggestion would be to either have one set as the main
>> bleeder/equalizer set with a high value in parallel as a backup, or
>> have parallel resistors of twice the value.
>
>In the case of equal value parallel resistors, the capacitors would
>have to be rated at twice the normal operating voltage.
>
>Otherwise you gain nothing.
>
>Using a high value and low value in parallel would really be
>wasteful.
>
>If the resistors serve the purpose of bleeders only, and not
>equalization, then two systems in parallel is a worthwhile
>idea...except for the following condition:.
>
>anyone who depends on bleeders to guarantee no HV after a given
>period of time is a fool, and we should let Darwin's selective
>evolution theory go to work and cull him out of the gene pool.

//  The amount of energy stored (<100J) would be unlikely to cause death.
 I know of no one eho became a Silent Key because of an open bleeder
resistor in a ham amp.  All such decedents that I am aware of didn't pull
the mains plug.

cheers

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end