[AMPS] Finding the Q of a Coil

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Finding the Q of a Coil
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil (VA3UX))
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 08:50:48 -0400
At 08:43 PM 10/6/2001 -0700, Bill Smith wrote:

>Q of this coil should be the Inductive Reactance
>divided by the internal resistance of the coil's wire
>(factoring in the RF).  This is where I got bogged
>down.  Couldn't come up with an appropiate number.
>Where am I going wrong?

Accurate calculation of RF resistance definitely is the tough part.  There
is more than one set of formulas from different sources for calculating
this and the results don't agree. If I were forced to choose, I'd probably
stick with the formulae in Terman's books.   Steve T. correctly outlined
the general procedure.  I too will have a look at the Murphy file that Ian
suggested.

Phil