[AMPS] SB-220 cooling

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 cooling
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 10:39:18 -0400
Well, I resoldered the pin yet again and thoroughly polished the filament
pins, and so far the repair seems to be holding.  The socket seems to be
reasonably tight on the filament pins, so I hope it's not socket
replacement time yet.

This raises a question, though -- I had assumed that the main source of the
heat that melts the pins was heat dissipated inside the tube element.  Now
I'm wondering whether it may not be simple resistive heating from imperfect
contact between the pins and the socket.  Anyone have a view on which
effect predominates?

I also notice that my amp seems to breathe a LOT better with the case off
(but the cage and deflector plate in place, of course.  A foot away from
the top of the cage I can feel a nice breeze.  Perhaps I should just leave
it this way (without the outer case) for contest use.  comments?

73, Pete N4ZR