[AMPS] SB-220 cooling -- another thought

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 cooling -- another thought
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 17:12:50 -0400
In my SB-220, at least, the springs that clamp the socket contacts on the
pins are very readily removable.  The design really looks as if the springs
were designed to be changed out if and when they became overheated

Assuming the spring clips on the filament pins have been annealed to the
point that they will no longer hold tension, that raises a few possibilities:

Could I swap one or both (rebent first) for the springs on a grid pin,
which presumably have not been through such temperature extremes?

Could I seek to retemper the spring clips by heating and quenching?

Does anyone have a junked SB-220 or other amp with the same sockets from
which you'd be willing to scavenge some non-filament springs?

Does anyone know of a source for the clips without buying the whole socket?

73, Pete N4ZR