[AMPS] SB-220 cooling -- another thought

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 cooling -- another thought
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:33:11 -0400
At 05:22 AM 10/10/01 -0700, Rich wrote:
>//  Such springs can be bent up from heated austenitic steel piano wire -
>which is available in hobby shops.  No tempering is needed.  Temper
>austenitic steel and it breaks like glass.   Trimmed, large size bobby
>pins also work.
>
>cheers, Pete

I think we may be talking about different sockets -- the spring clips I was
referring to are about 3/8 inch wide, U-shaped, with tongues (at the top of
the U) that are bent in slightly and actually press on the contacts.

I was asking whether clips made this way might be retemperable... or
whether clips that were used on the grid pins, for example, might be
swapped into the filament locations.

In any case, at the moment my problem is the tube, because when I swap it
from one side to the other it still doesn't light up.  Anyone know of a net
mail-order source for the small butane torch and (particularly) the
high-temp silver solder that is apparently needed to attempt a repair?

73, Pete N4ZR