[AMPS] Amps and Microprocessors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amps and Microprocessors
From: kc5vdj@yahoo.com (Jim Bryant)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:05:10 -0500
What experiences have people on this list had with both shielding
microprocessor control circuitry and display electronics internal
to a power amplifier from the intense RF fields as well as preventing the
microprocessor and display circuitry from inducing a hash
onto the output signal?

My thoughts involve a brass box, vented, with forced air cooling, that would be
chassis grounded, and with common-mode chokes on all
leads coming from this box.  Would this be enough?

Also, any suggestions on which ADC/Multimeter chips that have a fast enough
response time as well as reasonable RF immunity?

This is for a wet-dream amp project using a 4CX1600B that I've been acquiring
parts for for about a year or so, and am about halfway
to getting to the starting point.

My goal is to get as near hands-free as possible, with realtime monitoring of
every aspect of circuit operation on a LCD panel [no
multimeter switches], automatic tune-up, ALC, hands-free realtime screen grid
protection that would require no operator intervention
and not result in the amplifier being shutdown or bypassed [IMHO, idiot lights
are a dumb idea, and can go unnoticed long enough for
damage to occur; coming from an enterprise computing background, downtime is
unacceptable, so, plate-voltage cutoff when an
excessive screen-current condition exists is IMHO just as bad as an idiot
light.  Amplifier shutdown should only happen when signs
of catastrophic failure are detected, rather than a condition that can be
corrected in realtime].

Keep in mind that I'm not knocking traditional-design manually-operated
amplifiers, in the hands of a good attentive operator, they
do just fine.  I just want to do my amplifier right.  Gawd knows, I'm spending
enough money on the traditional parts, I've got no
problem with going the extra mile to get the rest of it right.

I may do an article on this once it's built, after all, share and enjoy.

jim
--
          ET has one helluva sense of humor!
     He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!