[AMPS] Thunderbolt questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Thunderbolt questions
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:42:30 -0800
>Rich, the EFJ T-bolt (2 x 4-400's) is grid-driven and set up for only about
>20W drive to run 1kW DC input.  If the HV is increased much above 2200V, the
>filter cap will definitely require replacement, I'm reasonably sure it's
>only a 2500V cap, and the original was oil-filled with lots of nasty stuff,
>circa 1958 or so...

//   Not all oil-filled capacitors in days of yore used PCBs.  General
Electric's "Pyranol" caps did.  Sprague "Vitamin Q" caps did not.  Also,
capacitor ratings then tended to be conservative.  For example, a
"Vitamin-Q", 600v-rated, 4uF capacitor fails at c. 3500v.  I ran some at
1700v for years in a UHF amplifier and they are still good.

cheers, Steve.  Tnx

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end