[AMPS] PCB oil info

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PCB oil info
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 11:42:36 -0700
The answer is not real clear on identifying PCBs in electronics,
namely in capacitors and in tanked transformers.  Several years ago I
called several commonly found cap. manufacturers and learned this:

Plastic Capacitors Inc.
"Never used PCB in their oil-filled capacitors or modular power supplies"

Condensor Products
Prior to 1968 did use PCBs in products, including power supplies.
Anything after this date is not PCB- containing.  To determine date,
look on the bottom of the unit or side, for a stamped number (not the
serial number). If it is 7 digit, then the last two digits signify
the date, i.e., 2413967, made in 1967, is suspect and should be
treated as PCB. If it is an 8 digit number, then the year is the
fifth and sixth digit followed by the last two digits as the work
week: 24136844 is made in 1968, 44th week. In short, if you see
anything before 68 in the last 4 digits of a Condensor Products
component, suspect it as containing PCB.

The following information came from EPA websites, and is not
guaranteed to be all-inclusive nor completely correct. Neither I, nor
my employer, take responsibility for correctness of this information,
or for any liability from the circumstances which may result from its
use or lack thereof.

GE, Sprague, Aerovox, CDE, and many other companies had tradenames
for their PCB impregnant/dielectric fluids:
  (oil list from Federal Register Notice 14FR 14136, April 1, 1976)

Aroclor
Asbestol
Askarel
Chlorextol
Clophen
Diaclor
DK
Dykanol
Kennechlor
No-Flamol
Phenoclor
Pyralene
Pyranol
Saf-T-Kuhl
Santotherm

(from 1994 EPA PCB Q&A Manual)
Arochlor B
ALC
Apirolio
ASK
Adkarel
Capacitor 21
Chlorinol
Chlorphen
EEC-18
Eucarel
Inclor
Magvar
MCS 1489
Nepolin
Pydraul
Pyroclor
Santovac 1 and 2

One thing is noticable, the new oils being used MAY be more flammable
than the PCB oils.
73
John
K5PRO