[AMPS] non inductive R

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] non inductive R
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 12:01:12 -0700
In college I remember the late Herb Krauss (co-wrote Solid State
Radio Engineering) telling us that 100 Ohm carbon comp resistor (1/2,
1 or 2 Watt size, i cannot remember which) was quite good as the
ratio of L and C are appropiate to allow it to remain resistive out
to many tens of MHz. We used the hp 4815A Z meter to check and it was
so. And we wound a twisted pair transmission line of the right turns
per inch to be 100 Ohm characteristic Z, and installed this between
the R and the meter. The impedance remained 100 over the range. This
simple lesson was a good one, about component parasitics, about
transmission line construction, about matching.
73
John
K5PRO