[AMPS] Coil Forms

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Coil Forms
From: kc5vdj@yahoo.com (Jim Bryant)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 02:16:33 -0600
There are tests that you can make without a tester, of course, but honestly, a
tube tester is a good investment.

The point is that if it works, and has some life left, keep it as a spare,
rather than trash it for the base.

Tubes [valves for you brits], are scarce.  What is marginal, but working today,
even though not at full specs, may be what keeps
something running 20 or 50 years from now.

Peter Chadwick wrote:

>>Don't go destroying tubes for these unless you have
>>verified their death on a calibrated tube tester of adequate quality [TV-7,
>>
> etc]
>
> You don't need a tube tester to find an open circuit filament/heater, or
> shorts
> present when cold. Blue glow in the space between electrodes is a pretty good
> indicator of gas, too. I've never actually found enough requirement for a tube
> tester to make its acqusition worthwhile. If I'm building something from
> scratch
> and am doubtful about a tube, I'll make a jury rig on the bench and check
> currents and transconductance. The amount of time that I have spent on that
> over
> the years is so miniscule that investment in a tube tester isn't worthwhile.
>
> If you're servicing some gear, replacement is a good start. I haven't yet met
> anything that was critical as to the brand of tubes - unlike some sand stae
> gear, where I've known of designs that would only work with one manufacturers
> brand of op amp!
>
> 73
>
> Peter G3RZP

jim
--
          ET has one helluva sense of humor!
     He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!