[AMPS] 8877 rectifier board considerations

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 8877 rectifier board considerations
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:02:17 -0800
Hi Paul,

There's no 6A equivalent part to the JTX1N5554.  Problem is, JAN parts must
be hermetically sealed by spec, and to make a 6A glass or ceramic dual-plug,
metalurgically-bonded part is nearly impossible because the slug diameter
gets to be too large, so the small mismatch in the thermal coefficient of
expansion between the die, the slugs and the glass or ceramic body can cause
cracking under surge conditions.  It's been tried for decades without
success.

So, "we" use paralleled 3A hermetic parts like the 5554's previously
described to provide lower Rthj-L and ~6A rectified current rating and ~250A
Ifsm surge rating, or go to non-hermetic parts which do not suffer the
coefficient mismatch problems, or go to custom power hybrid modules (thick
film hybrids using large dice eutectically bonded to a CRS case).  Problem
with the hybrids is they get very, very expensive and it's difficult to
assemble them so they'll stand off more than a few kV, because the die to
metal substrate (or pin seal) dimension is so small.

Heatsinking does help the K2AW assemblies.  I use thermally conductive
grease to mount the K2AW modules on aluminum heatsinks, and then mount the
heatsinks to my chassis, if I'm pushing them.  However, I cannot envision a
"legal" amateur amplifier that needs to push them, since even 3500V at 1.5A
is -- ahem -- quite a lot of power-?

73!

Steve WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger