[AMPS] 8877 rectifier board considerations

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 8877 rectifier board considerations
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:06:35 -0800
Hi Rich,

The K2AW modules are rated 1.0A at 55 degrees C, derating to zero at 150
degrees C.  Thus, a bridge made of four such modules would have a 2.0A/55
deg C rating, attached to any surface having a temperature equal to or below
55 degrees C.  No heatsinking required for this rating, just any mounting
surface.   I have found, using an ~ 2" x 5" extruded aluminum heat sink,
using one module, I can run it all day at 3 Adc rectified current.  The
diodes used internally are 3A diodes, PIV = 1000V, Vf ~ 0.9V @ 3A, Ir < 10uA
@ PIV, with 6, 8, 10 or 14 diodes in series.  Thus, the 10kV stack
dissipates ~10W, including forward and reverse losses.  Not very much.

There is no argument that potted modules take up more space than diodes
mounted on a PCB.  However, the potted module is insulated to its BV rating,
and thus, except for the terminals themselves, may be mounted without
special attention to much of anything.  A board would have to be mounted on
the filter cap terminals, or ceramic standoffs, or something to float
(isolate) them.

Not that any of this stuff is high-tech...10kV is not high voltage to me.  I
designed power supplies for X-Ray systems (250kV).  That's high voltage.

WB2WIK/6
"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger