[AMPS] 8877 rectifier board considerations

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 8877 rectifier board considerations
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:03:21 -0800

>Hi Rich,
>
>The K2AW modules are rated 1.0A at 55 degrees C, derating to zero at 150
>degrees C.  Thus, a bridge made of four such modules would have a 2.0A/55
>deg C rating, attached to any surface having a temperature equal to or below
>55 degrees C.  No heatsinking required for this rating, just any mounting
>surface.   I have found, using an ~ 2" x 5" extruded aluminum heat sink,
>using one module, I can run it all day at 3 Adc rectified current.  The
>diodes used internally are 3A diodes, PIV = 1000V, Vf ~ 0.9V @ 3A, Ir < 10uA
>@ PIV, with 6, 8, 10 or 14 diodes in series.  Thus, the 10kV stack
>dissipates ~10W, including forward and reverse losses.  Not very much.
>
>There is no argument that potted modules take up more space than diodes
>mounted on a PCB.  However, the potted module is insulated to its BV rating,
>and thus, except for the terminals themselves, may be mounted without
>special attention to much of anything.  A board would have to be mounted on
>the filter cap terminals, or ceramic standoffs, or something to float
>(isolate) them.

\   I mount the rectifiers G-10 perfboard supported by an aluminum
bracket in the inlet air-stream.  It works, takes less space and 11kV @
3A costs around $5 for a FWD.

>Not that any of this stuff is high-tech...10kV is not high voltage to me.  I
>designed power supplies for X-Ray systems (250kV).  That's high voltage.

\   Yea, verily.  I used to have an X-ray machine transformer.  It was
too scary.

cheers, Steve.

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end