[AMPS] Bypassing Screen of 4cx800a for 50 MHz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bypassing Screen of 4cx800a for 50 MHz
From: w9gt@home.com (W9GT)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 20:28:26 -0500
Good suggestion Colin.   I was familiar with the 4CX1500B (W5TMN) amp in
Bill Orr's Handbook, but never tried the grounded screen arrangement.  I
built a 4CX1500B amplifier, but I used a conventional circuit and the
regular SK-800 series socket which had the built-in bypass cap.  Really, the
grounded screen may be an excellent way to go and accomplish the desired
results.  It is only complicated by  the requirement for floating the screen
and bias supplies below ground.  The thing that makes this intriguing is
that you can use a cheap socket and just provide a good grounding ring with
finger stock or a clamp for the screen.  A few large holes or arc shaped
slots in the chassis for air flow up through the anode and presto....a
4CX800A or two mounted very cheaply and (hopefully) with no sacrifice in
performance or stability.  Air chimneys could easily be constructed.  Of
course, building-in problems with "less than ideal" components is always a
risk and could be termed as false economy.  However, since the Svetlana
sockets are much less common than the tubes, and are relatively expensive,
this could be an excellent way to go to build a decent amplifier fairly
inexpensively.

73,
Jack, W9GT