[AMPS] roller inductors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] roller inductors
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 07:53:33 -0800
Sure have.  Have had many Henry amps, they all use roller inductors
(3K-4K-etc).  Advantage is being able to optimize "Q" at almost any
frequency, including between amateur bands.  Disadvantages include
frustrating initial tune-up process (since the network will provide dips at
many settings, only one of which is best, but several of which might provide
a whole lot of output power) and of course roller inductor failure, which
inevitably occurs when the roller contact falls off the inductor ribbon, or
gets wedged between ribbon turns...and seems to happen with use, shock,
vibration and time.

WB2WIK/6