[AMPS] Building new 4-1000A amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Building new 4-1000A amp
From: k7rdx@earthlink.net (K7RDX)
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 16:58:12 -0800
I use high plate voltage on my 4-1000a amps to lower drive required for a
given p/o. It`s very true that good tubes do not require huge amounts of
plate voltage,however most builders (first time constructors) get used tubes
that are so far gone that they raise plate and fil. voltages to get the last
bit of life from them.
There are a few things to look for when buying flea market tubes... Never
buy a tube from a guy if he said the fil checks good but he has no way to
check p/o.
(Unless you know the guy) Also, these things can look like they came out of
a fire (stained inside) and still be a high emission tube. There`s one thing
I have found after several years of buying used tubes ..... if you can see
multi-colors reflecting from the inside of the plate structure, you most
likely have a worn-out tube. I would welcome comments on picking and
choosing from other builders, please e-mail me direct to swap Ideas.
73 to all.. Jim K7RDX