[AMPS] Building new 4-1000A amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Building new 4-1000A amp
From: k1ta@contesting.com (Bob Marston)
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 09:51:52 -0800
On Fri 4 Jan 2002 John Ogden wrote:

>One more comment on why people run high plate voltages could be that they
>don't have very stiff power supplies.  Like I stated in the earlier post
>that my supply drops from about 6KV to 5.2 KV under load.  One could
>probably do better than that with more filter caps, larger gauge AC mains
>wire, etc.

There are a number of factors that effect voltage regulation the 2 most
important are IR drop of the transformer windings and the Permeability of
the core. The size of the capacitor bank has minimal influence on
regulation. An L Network with a choke input and small capacitor bank will
provide far superior regulation to a large stand alone capacitor bank all
things being equal. L Networks pose other problems though, specifically as
it relates to solid state rectifiers.

A couple of years ago W7CW built up a YC-156 amp. He came up with a very
"hefty" pole-pig transformer for the plate supply. Rectified it and fed it
straight to a capacitor bank and dropped 50 volts from 0 to 1 amp at 3300
volts. What provided the excellent regulation was the iron, in this case
the transformer.

> There's probably worse designs out there as well.  So if you
>don't have a good power supply design, you could easily be under 5 KV under
>load.

73s

Bob  K1TA