[AMPS] New to the Amps list

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] New to the Amps list
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:05:06 -0800

> Hi all,
>  After having frequented the towertalk list, i am
>  new to the amps reflector. Well, wanted that
>  extra power after the tower has been installed.
>
> Now i do have some stupid questions on Amps.
> I am not quite an experienced homebrewer. Especially,
> after that RF burn with a 100W rig when playing with
>  apartment antennas, i am a bit shy. But willing to
>  safely experiment .{ not yet on homebrewing a QRO amp :) }
>
> I am contemplating on an AL-811/AL-811H.
>
> 1) Is the AL-811H the same copy of AL-811, but
>   has an extra matched tube.??
        [Steve Katz]  (WB2WIK/6): No, it's not.

> 2) Can i buy an AL-811 and then later, when i
>  retube it, drop in a matched quad of 572B's to
>  make it a AL-811H. I assume the 811 will have an
>  unused tube socket.
        [Steve Katz]  (WB2WIK/6): No, the AL811 does not have an unused tube
socket.  The AL811 and 811H do not use 572B's, they use 811A's.  Only the
AL-572 uses 572B's.

> 3) I have been thru the eham.net reviews on the AL-811's.
>     A lot of folks have given a big thumbs up for the Amp.
        [Steve Katz]  (WB2WIK/6): It has a good price-to-performance ratio
and there are certainly a lot of them on the air.

>  What are the things i should keep in mind when looking out
>  or testing an amp, if i buy used?? Would you recommend this
>  for my first amp.
        [Steve Katz]  (WB2WIK/6): These are relatively heavy and subject to
shipping damage, so I would not buy a used amp remotely; if you want to find
a used amp, shop locally, so you can look at it, see it work, and pick it up
yourself.  The AL-811 or 811H will work fine with your TS-440, although the
811 barely meets my criteria of a reasonable power increase.  The TS-440
runs 100W out; the AL-811 will produce 600W; this is only a tad over 7 dB
power increase.  I usually shoot for 10 dB, simply to feel like I've
accomplished something, but that's a personal issue.  To increase power 10
dB requires a 1kW output amplifier, like the AL80B (or the AL572).
Personally, I think  the AL80B is probably the best cost-to-performance
ratio amp on the market, since it not only nearly 3 dB more power than the
AL811, but also has an excellent peak-reading wattmeter/SWR meter built-in
(which the 811 does not), saving the cost of that (normally $100-$150)
accessory.  And the meter works well.

> My setup has a TA-33 with the 2KW traps, a TS-440 exciter
> and a MFJ-969( 300W tuner).
        [Steve Katz]  (WB2WIK/6): Obviously, that tuner won't suffice for an
amplifier; however, if you stick with 20-15-10m, which the TA-33 is designed
for, you shouldn't need a tuner.

> Sorry about my stupid questions and i do appreciate your
> patience and help.
>
> 73's
> krish
        [Steve Katz]  73, Krish  -WB2WIK/6