[AMPS] Anode cooler question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Anode cooler question
From: jstrohm@texas.net (Jim Strohm)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 13:51:50 -0600
Radio WC6W <wc6w@juno.com> says

>   Removing the 2C39 cooler should be fairly easy.  The ones I've seen
>either unscrew or are held on by a couple of set screws.
>
>   The question is... Is there enough material to drill a hole big enough
>for a 4-1000A.   I just measured one the 2C39 coolers and it looks like
>you need to drill the center hole out to 9/16" which will leave about
>.025 walls  -- might be a bit tricky.  Do you have a drill press?

Except for not having a bandsaw or lathe, I'm pretty well set.  The drill
press is easy to manage.

The particular tubes I got were not 2C39s, but have a similar finned
external anode.  I see no set-screw on them; otherwise I would have already
pulled the anode and put it on my physical-specimen 4-1000.

Now, I'd have to look at a 4-1000 again, but IIRC its anode cap has a
setscrew and is removable, leaving the actual pin to the anode exposed --
it's about 1/8" in diameter.

Cheapskate-a-mundo that I am, I'm always looking for ways to recycle
otherwise useless junk into usable radio parts.

Next project -- making HV PS filter caps from tinfoil and wax paper!!

Jim N6OTQ