[AMPS] BWO Tube Helix Voltages...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] BWO Tube Helix Voltages...
From: kc5vdj@yahoo.com (Jim Bryant)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:28:21 -0600
Peter Chadwick wrote:

> Jim asked:
>

>>the Helix voltage is like a bias voltage, and not expected to draw any
>>current.
>>

> Dopn't know about BWOs, but the helix in a TWT does draw current. The last
> one I
> worked on was admittedly in the 1960's, but the helix on that drew 1.8Amps at
> 22kV. The collector ran depressed at 18kV and 2.5 Amps.
>
> I presume that is slightly larger than Jim is thinking of.........
>
> 73
>
> Peter G3RZP

I hope so... :)

These are apparently Watkins-Johnson tubes that are pulls from an HP sweep
generator...<200mW

Got them free at a hamfest, one covers the 3.5 GHz and 5.6 GHz bands, and two
cover the 10.25 GHz band, and well to either side on
all of the tubes.  Thinking about playing around with high-bandwidth data, and
these are more stable than Gunn Diodes, assuming they
work...  at least one was still in the box from WJ, so at least one does,
hopefully the other X-band one too.

WJ couldn't find the data on the tubes, apparently they don't make them
anymore.  Never really done anything with BWOs before, and
have a serious lack of documentation on BWOs in general.  Hey, for free, the'd
make a nice spread spectrum data link, with a couple
of small dishes and some tubing.  Need to get some documentation on the tubes
before I do anything.

jim
--
          ET has one helluva sense of humor!
     He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!