[AMPS] Kenwood TS-440 and TL-922A hook up help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Kenwood TS-440 and TL-922A hook up help
From: kkanakas@cisco.com (krishna)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:25:22 -0500
Hi all,
 First i would like to thank you all for helping me make a decision
about
 the TL-922A.

 I am a happy camper. I bought the TL-922A for $675. It was amazingly
 clean for its age. I was even more surprised, since the seller
 appraised it to be of average condition. But it tuned out to be
 quite clean. I opened it up and no burns around the bandswitch.
 The tubes are clean. The previous owner was only driving it
 to about 600mA plate current. Looks like the amp was well taken care
 of before he moved to a nice ALPHA.

I also got a pair of Eimac's as a backup( though not full emission).
In short, i have a complete QRO package now. :)

Now here is the sad part of the story.

Not being able to suppress the urge to put things together,
I started messing up with my perfectly working TS-440. My
 one and only radio.

The users manual requires one to setup the jumper to enable the remote
option for keying the linear. I did so.

 The manual has a diagram of the7-pin remote connector. I bought a 7-pin
DIN
 connector and soldered wires to the terminals.

I always had the rig connected to the dummy load. I would key and
 try to check for voltages on the terminals( hoping to see the relay
keying
 voltages). Apparently i did not see any. I tried to hit the PTT on the
 stock microphone.

Now, when i power on, i see the "ON AIR" red LED on. If i key down, i
 get full output to the dummy load. But i don't hear any stations. But
if
i change modes or manipulate the keypad, i hear the beeps. I also don't
see the 'S' meter move. I checked and double checked the usual murphy
steps before shooting out this email. May be i fried the front end :(

Before i started mucking with it, i was able to hear stations at about
 s2/3 via the dummy load on the MFJ-949E. :)

Anyone got any tip for me .
1) I need to make an interface cable to hook up the amp. ??
2) Any clues as to what could have gone wrong with the TS-440( a stuck
relay perhaps).??

 Looks like its time to drive down south to the Kenwood service center.
:(

I have been depressed all afternoon.

Once again, Thank you all.

73's